Libido Enhancer for Men
It’s not a crime to look for ways to boost your sex drive. Although some widely prescribed drugs like Viagra can help attain and keep an erection, many of us prefer natural alternatives that are readily available, discreet, and usually have fewer side effects.
Research has shown how several foods and supplements can enhance libido in men and treat erectile dysfunction-ED (or impotence) if that is a concern for you. Before giving you the list of food and supplements that can help spark your sex drive, understand the basics of libido.
What is Libido?
Libido is a medical term for sexual desire or sex drive found in people belonging to any gender. A variety of factors can impact your libido, ranging from the level of your hormone to your medications to your sleep habits.
Every individual has a different libido, but people mostly see their libido decline with their age. Here is an age-wise analysis of how libido works during different phases in men’s life:
- In the 20s: During this age, testosterone is high in men and their sex drive. This hormone is required for sexual arousal in men. Also, the testosterone level may be elevated during this time, but inexperience with sex makes men anxious.
- In the 30s and early 40s: Usually, men continue to have libido through these years even when the testosterone levels gradually decrease around 35 years. The level of testosterone reduction can be faster in some men, affecting sex drive. Also, the stress of work, family, and other social commitments can decide how interested you are in sex.
- In the 50s and beyond: If a man is in good physical and mental health during this age, why not enjoy sex life at this age. Although, ED is expected in the 50s, and your erection may not occur or be less firm. Some health problems can also obstruct you from enjoying good sex, such as diabetes, heart disease, obesity, high cholesterol, and medications that treat them.
Food and Supplements that can enhance libido in men may include:
- Red ginseng
- Ginkgo biloba
Tribulus Terrestris is a leafy plant whose roots are famous for boosting libido in the traditional Chinese system. It can raise the levels of testosterone and improve sex drive in men.
Maca is a root vegetable believed to enhance fertility and sex drive. It is a traditional supplement available in various forms such as powders, capsules, and liquid extracts.
Red ginseng can help people with low libido by improving sexual function. It is even effective in women with menopause who desire sexual arousal. Additionally, it can boost nitric oxide production, an element that helps in blood circulation and relaxation of the muscle in the penis.
Fenugreek is an alternative herb effective in enhancing libido and improving sexual function. It contains the compounds used by the body to produce sex hormones, such as testosterone and estrogen.
Saffron is a delicious traditional spice that people use to reduce stress, especially for individuals on antidepressants. It acts as an aphrodisiac that could improve sexual dysfunction.
L-citrulline, an amino acid produced by the body, covers into L-arginine in your system; it helps improve blood flow by releasing nitric oxide to dilate blood vessels.
Some libido-boosting food items and supplements that do not have enough supporting evidence but can work on you include:
- Oysters: Animals studies indicate oysters help boost your libido and promote male sex hormones production, but there is no prominent human research in this field.
- Chocolate: There is little evidence that chocolate can boost libido, especially women. Try taking it as something sweet; maybe it works!
- Watermelon: This popular summer-time fruit is a good source that carries L-citrulline, which can help people with ED. Yet, no human studies have been conducted on watermelon intake and its relation with ED or libido.
- Nuts: Some reports suggest that nuts, especially pistachios, can boost libido in men.
- Coffee: This popular beverage containing caffeine and polyphenols can boost libido, and some studies link it to lower risks of erectile dysfunction.
- Chasteberry: There is little evidence supporting that chaste berries can ease PMS (premenstrual syndrome) symptoms in women, but there is no proof that this product offers libido-boosting effects in men.
- Wine: Although a glass of wine can help people get in the mood, it can not boost libido. Consuming alcoholic beverages in high amounts can result in sexual dysfunction.
- Horny goat weed: This herbal product contains compounds that are likely to affect blood flow to the penis. In animal studies, it has been shown to improve erectile function.
Some Natural Tips to Boost Libido
The natural approach to spice up your sex life includes a variety of things such as:
- Eat aphrodisiac fruits
- Try herbal products
- Grab some chocolate
- Boost your self-confidence
- Take the supplement yohimbine
- Limit alcohol intake
- Get plenty of sleep
- Reduce your stress
- Build trust in your relationships
- Check with your doctor
Eat Specific Fruits
Little evidence supports the effectiveness of specific food items, but there is no harm in experimenting with such things that are healthy in either way. Some libido-boosting foods may include:
These items also provide the required vitamins and minerals that can increase blood flow to the genitals and promote a satisfying and healthy sex life.
Try eating chocolate
Chocolate has been a symbol of the desire for a long time, not only because it tastes delicious but also because of its power to improve sexual pleasure. Chocolate promotes the release of phenethylamine and serotonin in the system, which helps produce some aphrodisiac and mood-lifting effects. Although, the effects of chocolates on sexuality are more psychological than biological.
Taking the following herbs daily with dinner can work as a libido enhancer:
- Ginkgo biloba
Basil and garlic can add flavor not only to your food but also to your sex life. The smell of basil can stimulate the senses, while garlic contains high allicin levels that increase blood flow. Stimulation of the senses and increased blood flow can help men with erectile dysfunction (ED).
Ginkgo biloba helps treat antidepressant-induced sexual disorders in men, according to research. This extract is derived from the lead of the ginkgo tree.
Boost your self-confidence
The way you feel about yourself predominantly affects how you think about sex. Lack of workout and an unhealthy diet may make you believe you have a poor image, and it can discourage you from having and enjoying sex.
You may boost your self-esteem by focusing on your attributes rather than your flaws and increasing your sex drive. Focusing on the pleasure experienced during sex can also help you.
Limit alcohol intake
Consumption of one glass of wine can make you feel more comfortable and increase your interest in intimation. However, excessive alcohol intake can ruin your performance by affecting erectile function. It can also inhibit your ability to orgasm.
Mediate and relieve stress
No matter how fit and fine you are, stress can affect your sex drive and ability to have sexual intercourse. Notably, according to research, women are susceptible to its effects on an individual’s sex life.
In comparison, men may take the help of sex to relieve stress. Sometimes, differences in sex approaches may cause conflict. You may consider meditation to reduce stress, although you might also enjoy:
- taking a yoga class
- practicing tai chi
- practicing in sports activities
People with a hectic lifestyle do not usually get enough time to get the right amount or quality of sleep. A busy schedule also makes it challenging to take time for sex.
People who have to balance work while taking care of aging parents of young children have usually left exhausted, resulting in a reduced sex drive. To boost your energy with sex drive, try:
- Take naps when you can
- eating a healthy diet rich in protein and complex carbohydrates
Counsel your relationship
After an argument with your partner, you are likely not to be in the mood for sex. For women, it is essential to sense emotional closeness for sexual intimacy. It clearly states that unresolved conflicts may affect your sexual relationship.
Communication is the key to building trust, and it is also vital to prevent resentment from building up in a relationship.
When to consult a doctor
Even if you take the measures mentioned earlier to boost your sex lie, you might need to talk with a doctor or psychiatrist. A healthcare professional can help you identify underlying medical conditions.
Some strategies to enhance sexual health suggested by doctors include:
- making healthy lifestyle choices
- communicating with your partner
- treating underlying health issues
No doubt, good sex life can make you and your partner lead a happier life. And, you are not alone in the search for ways to boost your sex drive. Some supplements and food items may even function as aphrodisiacs, including maca, Tribulus, fenugreek, red ginseng, gingko Biloba, saffron, and L-citrulline.
Remember some of the foods and supplements used to boost libido can interact with specific drugs. So, ensure to consult your healthcare professional regarding these items if you take medication. Although, the natural ways mentioned later in the blog can help you without causing any adverse effects.